Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More Things #5 Microblogging

SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE TO SIGN GUESTBOOK & VIEW OTHER TOOLS!

I broke down and tried a Facebook account this year at the urging of a friend. It has been interesting. I was afraid of the privacy aspect of it and not sure about cross-connecting my different circles of friends. You have to be selective (and not feel guilty) about who you accept as friends and really think about who you are posting to. It has been fun reconnecting with acquaintances and pictures from the past but some of the stuff is just a waste of time (like all these token things and quizzes, etc. that get sent back and forth). It is nice to just post mini-thoughts, etc., however, and even to know that you are connecting with a wider circle of friends, even if it be in micro-chatter. Professionally, I would think that you would want to start a separate Facebook account. I've been told that there is no policy but my teenagers have told me that their high school teachers have said they can't be "friends" with them until they graduate. The policy of Facebook being opened up at the district level was, as far as I understand, a way to track graduates. Even Laura Walker on her web site article about Twitter says:
"Just this week I am putting together a policy recommendation for staff at my school about ensuring their personal details on Facebook are secure. Several colleagues (including Alex Blagona @blagona and Sacha Van Straten @svanstraten) have been kind enough to share work..."

TWITTER - I have signed up for a twitter account and as far as I can tell by the links on Library2Play2, the most important thing regarding using Twitter as an educational took, is slowly building your network carefully so that it supplies you with links to valuable information, not fluff. Does twittering on your phone cost you internet time? No. Could students Twitter you about assignment questions? Yes. Could you have a classroom twitter conference? Why not! I am going to post cool young-people videos I find that show an amazing technical expertise. Guess what? I found the first one through a twitter post!

BACKCHANNELING: I think if a classroom of students were equipped with a computer or cell phone it could be an interesting thing to try. I've often wished there was a way for the kids that never speak to engage without fear. In middle school there would definitely need to be a preview moderator. You wouldn't want middle school students blurting on twitter for all to see. Feelings need to be protected at that age.

No comments: