Saturday, August 8, 2009

More Things #10 Virtual Zoo!

SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE TO SIGN GUESTBOOK & VIEW OTHER TOOLS!



View of Bell Library and towers, Info International, Second Life Library 2.0 and reference patio



Well the good news is that this Second Life thing is kind of fun. The bad news is that it takes hours and hours and hours to figure out what is happening even if you get help. I kept getting so much "lag" time (delay of actions and movements caused by the server load) that I had to keep logging off and going back. I still couldn't find much decent clothing even after going to the freebie sights so I was walking around in a tuxedo dress--better than see-through nighties and belly button rings! I teleported to London and found a BUNCH of free stuff. After I figured out how to open all the boxes (go upstairs in The Shelter} I managed to find other items of clothing and lots of other (ahem) items that needed to be deleted. Speaking of which (adult content) I didn't see any "You must be 18" signs or agreements and I even heard some very YOUNG people talking on chat once. Since there is a TEEN world, I imagine there are supposed to be restrictions but I didn't see any attempt at it. Something a teacher would have to watch. I think the best tutorials are the YouTube videos. Here is another good reference:
http://www.secondlifeinsider.com/2006/07/20/newbie-tip-where-should-i-go/

I agree with Nathan Lowell who commented on SecondLife on CoolCatTeacher blog - "Before a teacher can teach with these tools, they first have to learn how to learn with them. Any teacher who wants to know 'best practices for the use of tool X in the classroom' really better be using tool X in his/her own learning practice. If they're not, it's kinda like trying to teach driver's ed when you don't know how to drive....We cannot understand it if we do not participate in it....We cannot teach it if we do not understand it." This is not a learn-with-the-kids kind of thing. You HAVE TO know what you're doing.

I find it intriguing and I'll keep exploring but it is a long learning process even with at guide. At first I couldn't find any "friends" to help me but later on (much later) I found The Shelter (as suggested in the link above). I think the kids would LOVE SecondLife but it's basically a simplified computer modeling program that requires building items from geometric shapes. My daughter, who did computer animation throughout high school, says that students have at least a year-long learning curve when it comes to animation programs but this should be simpler for them (not me!). Social learning, math, music, language, life-skills, money management, local and community planning. All these things could be virtually experienced and shared. A friend of mine works in technical writing and training and she says the virtual avatar world is where all training is going...so...time to learn it. At least in SecondLife, YOU CAN FLY!....WHEEEEEE.

1 comment:

VWB said...

It was not our intent that you run into anything of an adult nature (although it is generally considered for adults) The site listed in the blog post were carefully selected for the educationall experiences.